Monday, October 5, 2009

Reflection

An event that has shaped me the way I am today is when my dad left. I know it’s not a common story people tell when they are writing how they became the person they are today, but in my case it works. I strive to do everything that he never did. I go to school so I can be more successful than him.

In eighth grade he abandoned me when him and my mother got into a fight. He never said bye or told me sorry, he just left. My parents were already divorced so it didn’t hurt my mom to much, but it did for me. My dad and I were really close. We used to do everything together. I considered him my best friend and I loved him. When he left it changed me. I started to not trust people and not to like new people that I met.

I realized what I was doing and decided I wanted to change. I was letting him win by turning into him. Now I challenge myself to be the opposite of him. I make sure I go to school and do my work so I can graduate from college. Just by going to college I have already done more than him. On a brighter side another person who has made me who I am is my mom. She was always there for me and helping me with anything I needed. I want to be like her in a way for my kids.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to not trusting people after having someone walk on you.

    I like the fact that you want to change and be someone that you despite so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a personal connection to this as well too because my dad left me too. I still remember...watching tv and my dad was carrying a bag of clothes, he told me he was gonna wash and come back, he never did. Just like you, im also trying be successful in college have a good career so i can give my mom everything i can't right now because of our economical state. We both have the same heroes and I hope you succeed and strive in your goals as i am too. I'm sure you'll be a way better dad for you kids and goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the fact that you strive really hard to be and do the best. I know personally what its like not to be able to trust people because of things that happened to me at a young age. I realized, like yourself, there has to be a different way to use what happened in a different way. To never trust people again, but to be cautious and wise about the people whom you surround yourself with. I hope you achieve everything you want to and do great things in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly do not know how it feels to have one of your parents leave. My parents and I are close, Im closer to my mom than my dad. I have no idea what I would do if my mom would leave and not give me a reason why. I'm glad your mom is another person who made you who you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your ambition to become successful in life. I also admire the love you give to your mom, it is important to care about family. You overcame a situation that was not easy to go through, and you keep trying to excell for that purpose. Keep working hard in accomplishing your goals. Stay focused on graduating and becoming succesful.

    ReplyDelete