Thursday, September 17, 2009

reflection

The vocabulary words that we have learned in this class aren’t too hard. They are words that I have seen or heard before. Actually knowing and understanding these words have helped me when I talk to people. I noticed that I use some of the words.

I noticed that when I hear a word that I am unfamiliar with I think about what it might mean. If I cant I'll sometimes go and look it up in the dictionary, but only if I am really curious to know what it means otherwise I’ll forget about it. In high school I never really liked vocabulary and dreaded having to do vocabulary cards. Now I’m interested in expanding my vocabulary and learning words that I wouldn’t normally use.

Some of the words that we learned for our first vocabulary test I still remember. These words stuck in my mind I think mostly because I liked the word or that I knew what the word kind of meant. The other words I have no idea what they mean and if were asked to give the definition of it I would stand there like a deer in the headlights.

Overall I think that the impact that the vocabulary is having on me is that it’s making me more intelligent. When people talk and you different words it makes them sound smart and that’s how I would like to be taken as a person when I’m older. I want people to look at me and say that I know what I'm talking about or that I’m very well educated.

1 comment:

  1. I can really relate to what you said about in high school vocabulary wasnt really interesting but now you find yourself intersested. I feel the same way. In high school i didnt care what those vocabulary words ment. Now in college i find myself more curious in what those words mean and how i can use them when i speak. Its just because the way high school kids speak it didnt really matter how you spoke either. Now it just kind of shows how intellegent you are.

    ReplyDelete