Sunday, September 27, 2009

Vocabulary

Noxious

Part of Speech: adj

I scrubbed intensely, trying my best not to inhale the noxious fumes. (Funny in Farsi, 127)

Context clues: logic to figure out that noxious was bad, with the word fumes.

Def: harmful or injurious to health or physical well-being

Sentence: Bleach gives off noxious fumes, if inhaled to long it could harm different parts of the body.


Apathetic

Part of speech: adj

I told my father that his “SHIP ‘EM ABROAD” program didn’t sound too democratic to me, that perhaps included in the freedoms in this country is the freedom to be apathetic. (Funny in Farsi, 118)

Context clues: definition, “didn’t sound to democratic to me” is part of the definition with having no emotion too.

Def: having or showing little or no emotion

Sentence: Jason behavior was very apathetic when he found out he had been accepted into Harvard Law School.


Frugal

Part of speech: adj

After having baby-sat for every frugal family in town, I eventually hit the mother lode. (Funny in Farsi, 123)

Context clues: logic, the sentence before shows that frugal means to be scanty or little expense

Def: entailing little expense, requiring few resources, meager, scanty

Sentence: If getting paid eight dollars an hour wasn’t bad enough; my manager counts every cent we earn with each minute over the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment