Thursday, September 17, 2009

vocabulary

Strewn

Part of speech: verb

“To my delight, I found that the lawn had been strewn with miniature Iranian flags.” ( Funny in Farsi, 113)

Context clues: Used logic with miniature Iranian flags and the lawn.

Def: to cover or overspread with something scattered or sprinkled.

Original sentence: When I woke up this morning, I found that toilet paper had been strewed all over my house.


Dote

Part of speech: verb

“Now, whenever we visit my relatives, all of whom dote on my husband, I realized he didn’t marry me despite my tribe, he married me because of them.” (Funny in Farsi, 103)

Context clues: used logic with he married me because of them

Def: to bestow or express excessive love or fondness habitually

I dote on the fact that my sister is only seven. She attracts girls like crazy hence how cute she is.


Enviable

Part of speech: adj

“Even thought their condominium has only a tiny garden, they have managed to cultivate an enviable cornucopia of figs, pomegranates, sweet lemons, and herbs.” (Funny in Farsi, 98)

Context clues: used logic with a tiny garden and cornucopia of figs, pomegranates, sweet lemons, and herbs.

Def: worthy of envy, desirable

As Michigan’s freshman quarterback he has managed to gather an enviable amount of people that want to be him.

No comments:

Post a Comment